from the academic side of the house

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Thu Apr 26 17:11:37 UTC 2007

Tony Li writes:
> On Apr 25, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Simon Leinen wrote:
>> Routing table lookups(*) are what's most relevant here, [...]

> Actually, what's most relevant here is the ability to get end-hosts
> to run at rate.  Packet forwarding at line rate has been
> demonstrated for quite awhile now.

That's true (although Steve's question was about the routers).

The host bottleneck for raw 10Gb/s transfers used to be bus bandwidth.
The 10GE adapters in most older land-speed record entries used the
slower PCI-X, while this entry was done with PCI Express (x8) adapters.

Another host issue would be interrupts and CPU load for checksum, but
most modern 10GE (and also GigE!) adapters offload checksum
segmentation and reassembly, as well as checksum computation and
validation to the adapter if the OS/driver supports it.

The adapters used in this record (Chelsio S310E) contain a full TOE
(TCP Offload Engine) that can run the entire TCP state machine on the
adapter, although I'm more sure whether they made use of that.
Details on

http://data-reservoir.adm.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/lsr-200612-02/
--
Simon.