from the academic side of the house

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Apr 24 16:05:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:

> The next day, the team used a modified version of TCP to achieve an even
> greater record. Using the same 30,000 km path, the network was able to
> achieve a throughput of 9.08 Gbps which is equal to 272,400 Tb-m/s for both
> the IPv6 multi and single stream categories. In doing so, the team surpassed
> the current IPv4 records, proving that IPv6 networks are able to provide the
> same, if not better, performance as IPv4.

As one of the poor bastards still involved in rolling out VoIP over satellite
delivered IP at the moment, I can safely say I'm (currently) happy noone's trying
to push H.323 over IPv6 over these small-sized satellite links. Lord knows
we have enough trouble getting concurrent calls through 20 + 20 +
byte overheads when the voice payload's -20- bytes.

(That said, I'd be so much happer if the current trend 'ere wasn't to -avoid-
delivering serial ports for the satellite service so we can run VoFR or PPP
w/header compression - instead being presented IP connectivity only at
either end, but you can't have everything..)

Adrian