IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Apr 24 12:44:35 UTC 2007

Marcus H. Sachs wrote:
 >> Please provide some evidence of your assertion. I have seen no evidence
 > that
 >> the very folks who work so hard to run the Internet are making any
 > speculations at all about the DHS.
 >
 > Scroll backwards through the emails to the first one in this modified
thread
 > (RE: IP Block 99/8 (DHS insanity - offtopic)) and read the first few
 > comments that came in.
 >
 > Marc

Getting back to the original articles here is where my notions and the
notions
of many others comes from:

// END QUOTE //
The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which was created after
the attacks on September 11, 2001 as a kind of overriding department,
wants to have the key to sign the DNS root zone solidly in the hands
of the US government. This ultimate master key would then allow
authorities to track DNS Security Extensions (DNSSec) all the way
back to the servers that represent the name system's root zone on
the Internet.

At the ICANN meeting, Turcotte said that the managers of country
registries were concerned about this proposal. When contacted by
heise online, Turcotte said that the national registries had informed
their governmental representatives about the DHS's plans.

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87655
// END QUOTE //

This is not something I "chopped" together for spite, this is what I've
read and am
reading. So when experts from ICANN, the security world (Schneier) and
others
take a quick step back and questioned this, I read more into it. ...

// QUOTE //

The issue of who holds signing keys has until recently been pretty much an
academic one.

But that might be changing, with the U.S. government leading the way, as
DNSSEC becomes a requirement under the Federal Information Security
Management
Act.

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/43443-1.html
// END QUOTE //

So now I ask, on the DHS' Cyber Security Research paper, how should I infer
the following comment:

// COPIED //
"Actively pursue strategies for facilitating technology tranfer and
diffusion
of Federally-funder R&D into coommercial product and services, and private
sector use

http://www.infragard.net/library/congress_05/cyber_security/cyber_security_research.ppt#266,17,Portfolio
Mission and Strategic Objectives (concluded)
// END COPY //

Let me play devil's advocate a bit further... What if Canada, Italy or
some other country was asking that I abide by something I don't agree
with especially when they're trying to get ahold of something they
have no control over... Should I roll over and play dead. That in
itself would direct some form of control to any said country. I
don't know about you but its fundamentally fraud.

Now logically in accordance to the way this country has become,
even less so would I give the authority to any government to direct
the flow of information lest I be in a drunken stupor for 28
days(daze).

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

 > Did that. The first three are from J. Oquendo, Valdis Kletnieks and
 > Kradorex Xeron. Of these three, ... J. Oquendo seems to be "joking"
 > in Spanish

You mean after all this time I never controlled my Internet :(

On a serious note now...

 > NANOG is just a mailing list and the people who are on it are just
 > people having a chat.

I've always enjoyed seeing other perspectives on NANOG but I now await
the gracious Mr. Bellovin's response (if would be kind enough to provide
on)... "Using Bloom Filters for Authenticated Yes/No Answers in the DNS"

// More off topic //

Who is responsible for the sorry state of Internet security?
http://isc.sans.org/poll.html?pollid=75&results=Y
21.2 % =>Users
18.2 % =>Vendors
12.9 % =>I am responsible!
10.4 % =>Programmers
8.8 % =>Software Architects
5.4 % =>Nobody
3.4 % =>Schools/Universities (for not teaching better programming and such)
3 % =>Government
16.6 % =>Other (please comment)
Total Answers: 2265

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato

    Using Bloom Filters for Authenticated Yes/No Answers in the DNS