UK ISP threatens security researcher

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 15:12:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:20:50PM +0100, Will Hargrave wrote:
[...]
> In his blog post [1] he did admit to accessing other routers of Be's
> customers using the backdoor password; this is probably [2] a criminal
> offence in the UK. I'm not sure I have as much sympathy for him as you do.

> [2] IANAL

It *is* a criminal offence under extensions to the original CMA1990 in the
Police and Justice Act 2006. The maximum penalty was also increased to two
years imprisonment.

I don't think this particular incident is enough to attract a custodial
sentence, but he will almost certainly end up with a well-deserved criminal
record for his stupidity if somebody can be bothered to press charges.