UK ISP threatens security researcher

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Apr 19 18:59:12 UTC 2007

At 11:32 -0700 4/19/07, Owen DeLong wrote:

Being that I know nothing more than what is in the article, I will go
along with the assessment that the ISP could have done a better job
in running their network.  But I don't think that their reaction is
uncalled for (given again that the article is all that I have to go
on).

>He was definitely in a gray area and could have handled things better,
>but, the ISPs actions are way over the top and beyond reason for the
>situation in question.

The article fails to mention whether the student did try to use
proper channels.  Perhaps he did - that would change my assessment.
Passing judgement on so little data - and data in the press at that -
is only as good as, well, the data presented.

Employing official channels is preferable to public humiliation.
Complaints that "postmaster@" isn't set up correctly take on bigger
importance when we can say "we tried to contact you via proper
channels but then had to take our complaint public."

When I hear about such stunts, I wonder if the student did this all
for self-promotion.