BGP Problem on 04/16/2007

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 19 17:44:52 UTC 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 12:52 PM, David Temkin wrote:

> [...]

Nah, I wasn't thinking of them -- post-traumatic memory loss allowed
me to forget them... There was someone else who's name I have managed
to forget who tried to do the same thing through 4 parallel SCSI
connectors and fancy OS software -- it was horrendous.. There were 2
motherboards in a case (driven by the same, non-redundant, non-
swappable PSU!) and each motherboard had 2 dual channel SCSI  cards
with cables stretched between the cards. Fancy drivers exposed each
board's RAM to the other machine -- there was also a 10Base-2 cable
(I'm dating myself here) between the mother-boards for coordination
and communication. Every now-and-then your application was supposed
to make a system call that would cause the machines grind to a halt
and compare their memory -- if there was a difference, the syscall
would return non-zero and leave you to figure out what to do about it
-- unfortunately because there were only 2 machines voting there was
no way to know who was right and who was wrong -- the vendors
suggestion was to a: reboot or b: "just choose one and hope you
guessed right". Wildly broken system...

I cannot find any of my docs on the system that I was originally
talking about, but it was 3 PPC cores in a single package -- there
was built in hardware to keep them synchronized and voting. AFAIR,
it was a drop-in replacement for the "normal" version of the same
device, modulo the power-draw.

Maxwell Technologies makes a triple modular redundant cPCI board with
SOI processor and rad tolerant FPGAs that is really nice -- somewhere
I think I still have a stash of them...

NB: The above mentions 10BASE-2 and cPCI (which will fit in certain
vendors hardware) which *just* managed to keep this on-topic --
hopefully :-)

If the bad guys have copies of your MD5 passwords, then you have way
bigger problems than the bad guys having copies of your MD5 passwords.
-- Richard A Steenbergen