BGP Problem on 04/16/2007

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 19 16:00:53 UTC 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> With certain susceptible Sun CPUs which were popular during the last
> sunspot maxima, this was actually demonstrably true (and acknowledged
> by Sun), so don't laugh too hard.

Yup, Sandia National Labs made a radiation hardened Pentium and, as
far as I remember, was working on a hardened SPARC -- there was also
some work done (AFAIR on PPC) whereby 3 processors would run the same
instructions and vote on the output...

>                                         ---rob
>
> Leigh Porter <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com> writes:
>
>> Somebody form a certain large network vendor actually blamed problems
>> with their kit on cosmic rays causing memory corruption...

Oh, not just "somebody" -- a certain large vendor has many, many
references to it -- and I have received it as a explanation for
random reloads -- believe me, trying to tell an irate customer / PHB
that the reason that his "mission critical" circuit bounced was
because of cosmic rays is No Fun(tm). Hmmm.. Isn't this the same
vendor that now has a router sitting on a satellite ?!  ;-)

There was also an issue where one of the large manufacturers of
(binary) CAMs received a batch of polyimide that was contaminated
with an alpa-emitter (for some reason thorium oxide springs to mind)
and their quality control didn't catch it... As far as I know the
problem was identified before any products with the CAMs were
shipped, but I had an order held up while the vendor tried to source
alternate parts...

--
After you'd known Christine for any length of time, you found
yourself fighting a desire to look into her ear to see if you could

     -- (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)t