Number of BGP routes a large ISP sees in total

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Apr 18 02:22:42 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Yi Wang wrote:

> I guess what I see there is the lower bound of the path diversity?
> Because even
> though an edge router received more than one path for a prefix,
> it'll only export
> the best route to the other edge routers of the ISP.

Depends on the route server.  If the route server has sessions with
lots of edges, it will have lots of prefixes.  If not, then it's
generally got the same number of prefixes as you see in the CIDR report.

But you said: "if the RIB of all routers in the ISP were merged, how
many distinctive routes would there be?".  Define "distinctive"?  Are
you including things like same prefix & path, but different next hop?

If my guess is correct, the answer is "it varies".  Some networks
have literally a dozen or more interconnection points.  If the
networks are large, then you have 10s of 1000s of prefixes, with
dozens of next hops, and perhaps multiple that by multiple networks.
Then realize that many of the prefixes are duplicated across multiple
peers and ....

Anyway, the number is very difficult to determine.  And it is highly
dependent on the network you look at.

Mind if I ask why you want to know?  Perhaps there are some
simplifying assumptions we can make, depending upon your application?

--
TTFN,
patrick