Question on 7.0.0.0/8

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Apr 16 23:07:57 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:58:39PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> > We checked with IANA, ARIN, and the US DoD regarding 7.0.0.0/8.  We
> > were told that this netblock should not see the light of day,
>
> 10/8 used to be a DoD address block, but it was also used exclusively in
> their blacker networks and similar non-connected infrastructure. The
> result is that 10/8 was opened up for others to use as well. Could we do
> similar with 7/8?

I don't remember the ARPAnet being one of their blacker networks.  That
was what had 10/8 IP addresses.  Now, 10/8 is open for nobody to claim
as their own public IP addresses.

As I understand it from previous responses, however, 7/8 is being used
as such (publicly advertised IP address space, just perhaps not at this
time all advertised to the public Internet).

--
Joe Yao
Analex Contractor