DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Fred Heutte aoxomoxoa at sunlightdata.com
Mon Apr 16 22:13:10 UTC 2007

If you turn on IPv6 on an XP machine (or have it turned on for you
by a "helpful" application or MCP-enabled IT staff) be aware
that there can be unexpected consequences.

In my case it was discovering the nooks and crannies of Teredo,
Microsoft's IPv6 tunnelling protocol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

I spent a couple hours in a hotel recently trying to untangle why
using the DSL system I could see the net but couldn't get to any
sites other than a few I tried at random like the BBC, Yahoo
and Google.

That's because they are among the few that apparently have
IPv6 enabled web systems.

Once the reason became apparent, I found another terminal and
figured out how to disable Teredo and IPv6 on my laptop and all
was well for the duration.

Lesson learned.

I was once, circa 1995 or so, fairly enamored of IPv6.  Now it
makes me wonder just exactly what problem it is good at solving.

Don't get me wrong -- it's not the fault of IPv6 and its designers
and advocates, it's that the world has moved on and other
methods have been found for the questions it was designed to
address.  There is certainly room for concern about how well
those work, but the conversion effort to IPv6 -- well, the market
has voted with its pocketbook, or not.  Present company included.

fh