Question on 7.0.0.0/8

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Apr 16 18:13:19 UTC 2007

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4698.txt

> Also, I do not consider a complex XML-based
> protocol to be 21st century technology. In the 20th century, when you
> wanted to do something on the net you invented a new protocol and hacked
> together some application.

You need more then just transport to make an application protocol. Whois
really does not have standardized format or querying mechanisms or security
mechanisms and that is why all this work. Underlying transport is less of
an issue and I personally was actually for LDAP when group was making a
choice between LDAP-based and XML/BEEP-based foundation.