DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Perry Lorier perry at coders.net
Mon Apr 16 01:59:36 UTC 2007

> When you can plug your computer in, and automatically (with no
> clicking) get an IPv6 address,

Router Advertisements let you automatically configure as many IPv6
addresses as you feel like.

 > have something tell you where your DNS assist servers,

Microsoft had an old expired draft with some default anycast IPv6
nameserver addresses:

    fec0:0:0:ffff::1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3

-- http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ipv6-dns-discovery-04.txt

While this was never accepted by the IETF, I believe windows machines
still use these by default if they have no other name servers but do
have IPv6 connectivity.

This could be a fairly simple defacto standard if network operators
start using it.  This is an obvious weak link in the chain at this point
tho.

 > configure web proxies,

once you have DNS you can use the WPAD proxy auto discovery thingamabob.

> and solve your dynamic dns problems (as IPv4 set top boxes do today),

Updating your forward/reverse dns via DNS Update messages isn't that
uncommon today.

See:
http://www.caida.org/publications/presentations/ietf0112/dns.damage.html

where hosts are trying to update the root zone with their new names.

So you can get from A to D without requiring DHCPv6.