DHCPv6, was: Re: IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Sun Apr 15 19:35:46 UTC 2007

On 15-Apr-2007, at 06:38, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> With IPv6, there's of course still manual configuration, but PPP is
> out because it can't negotiate IPv6 addresses.

I've heard you say this a few times now, but I am also told by
various people in various places that they have succeeded in getting
IPv6 addresses assigned using PPPoE. Colour me confused.

Does RFC 2472 have some practical limitations in the real world that
I haven't noticed? Or is the problem a simple matter of implementation?

Joe