Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Apr 12 19:18:19 UTC 2007

On 12-apr-2007, at 20:15, Randy Bush wrote:

>> A few years ago, the IETF was considering various jumbogram options.
>> As best I recall, that was the official response from the relevant
>> IEEE folks: "no". They're concerned with backward compatibility.

> worse.  they felt that the ether checksum is good at 1500 and not
> so good at 4k etc.  they *really* did not want to do jumbo.  i
> worked that doc.

It looks to me that the checksum issue is highly exaggerated or even
completely wrong (as in the 1500 / 4k claim above). From http://
www.aarnet.edu.au/engineering/networkdesign/mtu/size.html :

---
The ethernet packet also contains a Frame Check Sequence, which is a
32-bit CRC of the frame. The weakening of this frame check which
greater frame sizes is explored in R. Jain's "Error Characteristics
of Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)", which appeared in IEEE
Transactions on Communications, August 1990. Table VII shows a table
of Hamming Distance versus frame size. Unfortunately, the CRC for
frames greater than 11445 bytes only has a minimum Hamming Distance
of 3. The implication being that the CRC will only detect one-bit and
two-bit errors (and not non-burst 3-bit or 4-bit errors). The CRC for
between 375 and 11543 bytes has a minimum Hamming Distance of 4,
implying that all 1-bit, 2-bit and 3-bit errors are detected and most
non-burst 4-bit errors are detected.

The paper has two implications. Firstly, the power of ethernet's
Frame Check Sequence is the major limitation on increasing the
ethernet MTU beyond 11444 bytes. Secondly, frame sizes under 11445
bytes are as well protected by ethernet's Frame Check Sequence as
frame sizes under 1518 bytes.

---

Is the FCS supposed to provide guaranteed protection against a
certain number of bit errors per packet? I don't believe that's the
case. With random bit errors, there's still only a risk of not
detecting an error in the order of 1 : 2^32, regardless of the length
of the packet. But even *any* effective weakening of the FCS caused
by an increased packet size is considered unacceptable, it's still
possible to do 11543 byte packets without changing the FCS algorithm.

Also, I don't see fundamental problem in changing the FCS for a new
802.3 standard, as switches can strip off a 64-bit FCS and add a 32-
bit one as required.