Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Thu Apr 12 18:12:57 UTC 2007

Large MTUs enable significant throughput performance enhancements for
large data transfers over long round-trip times (RTTs.) The original
question had to do with local subnet to local subnet where the difference
would not be noticable. But for users transferring large data sets over
long distances  (e.g. LHC experimental data from CERN in France to
universities in the US) large MTUs can make a big difference.

For an excellent and detailed (though becoming dated) examination of this
see:

"Raising the Internet MTU" Matt Mathis, et. al.

http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/

Joe

Stephen Wilcox <steve at telecomplete.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nanog at merit.edu
04/12/2007 01:45 PM

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
cc
NANOG list <nanog at merit.edu>
Subject
Re: Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:34:43AM -0400, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:

>    I think it's a great idea operationally, less work for the routers
and more
>    efficient use of bandwidth.   It would also be useful to devise some
way to
>    at least partially reassemble fragmented frames at links capable of
large
>    MTU's.

I think you underestimate the memory and cpu required on large links to be
able to buffer the data that would allow a reassembly by an intermediate
router

>    Since most PC's are on a subnet with a MTU of 1500 (or 1519) packets
>    would still be limited to 1500B or fragmented before they reach the
higher
>    speed links.  The problem with bringing this to fruition in the
internet is
>    going to be cost and effort.  The ATT's and Verizons of the world are
going
>    to see this as a major upgrade without much benefit or profit.  The
Cisco's
>    and Junipers are going to say the same thing when they have to write
this
>    into their code plus interoperability with other vendors
implementations of
>    it.

I dont think any of the above will throw out any particular objection.. I
think your problem is in figuring out a way to implement this globally and
not break stuff which relies so heavily upon 1500 bytes much of which does
not even cater for the possibility another MTU might be possible.

Steve