Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 12 15:56:54 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Gian Constantine wrote:

> I agree. The throughput gains are small. You're talking about a
> difference between a 4% header overhead versus a 1% header overhead
> (for TCP).

One of the "benefits" of larger MTU is that, during the additive
increase phase, or after recovering from congestion, you reach full
speed sooner --  it does also mean that if you do reach congestion,
you throw away more data, and, because of the length of flows, are
probably more likely to cause congestion...

--
Some people are like Slinkies......Not really good for anything but
they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the