Thoughts on increasing MTUs on the internet

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Apr 12 12:03:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Saku Ytti wrote:

> IXP peeps, why are you not offering high MTU VLAN option?

Netnod in Sweden offer MTU 4470 option.

Otoh it's not so easy operationally since for instance Juniper and Cisco
calculates MTU differently.

But I don't really see it beneficial to try to up the endsystem MTU to
over standard ethernet MTU, if you think it's operationally troublesome
with PMTUD now, imagine when everybody is running different MTU.

Biggest benefit would be if the transport network people run PPPoE and
other tunneled traffic over, would allow for whatever MTU needed to carry
unfragmented 1500 byte tunneled packets, so we could assure that all hosts
on the internet actually have 1500 IP MTU transparently.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se