Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Thu Apr 12 09:17:42 UTC 2007

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Frank Bulk wrote:
>
>> It truly is a wonder that Comcast doesn't apply DOCSIS config file
>> filters
>> on their consumer accounts, leaving just the IPs of their email servers
>> open.  Yes, it would take an education campaign on their part for all
>> the
>> consumers that do use alternate SMTP servers, but imagine how much
>> work it
>> would save their abuse department in the long run.
>
> There are several large ISPs (millions of subscribers) that have done
> away with TCP/25 altogether. If you want to send email thru the ISPs
> own email system you have to use TCP/587 (SMTP AUTH).
>
> Yes, this takes committment and resources, but it's been done
> successfully.

You don't even need to do that. We just filter TCP/25 outbound and force
people to use our mail servers that have sensible rate limiting etc.
People who use alternate SMTP servers can fill in a simple web form to
have them added to the exception list. We have about 50 on this list so far.

--
Leigh Porter