Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Apr 11 15:21:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:07:19 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:
> these so called rules? Many network operators are required to
> do a lot of things, one of these things should be the
> mitigation of malicious traffic from LEAVING their network.

And I want a pony.

We don't even do a (near) universal job of filtering rfc1918 addresses
and spoofed addresses.  We aren't filtering obvious bogon packets, how
do you propose we filter less obvious malicious traffic (is that SYN
packet legit, or part of a DDOS, or just a slashdotting of a suddenly
popular site?).