IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Apr 10 16:12:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:54:39PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> IPv6 has had operating system and router support for years.

I'd have to object with such a blanket statement.

I don't think you can say you support IPv6 (from an ISP's point of
view) without DHCPv6, since I don't think anyone at a large ISP
sized scale is going to leave address assignment up to RTADV.

I'm aware that Vista added support for DHCPv6, and I have heard
naught else (aside from the unixes).

So, it's my opinion that IPv6 "may" only recently have started
enjoying the level of operating system support required for
actual ISP-scale use by one major vendor...and I don't know how
commonly deployed Vista is yet.