IPv6 Finally gets off the ground

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Apr 10 16:10:59 UTC 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:54:39PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 06:15:34PM -0500,
>>  J. Oquendo <sil at infiltrated.net> wrote
>>  a message of 24 lines which said:
>>
>>> was successfully configured by NASA Glenn Research Center to use
>>> IPsec and IPv6 technologies in space."
>> We're taking 10 gigabytes of the most popular "adult entertainment"
>> videos from one of the largest subscription websites on the internet,
>> and giving away access to anyone who can connect to it via IPv6. ...
>
> *sigh*  Off the ground, then into the gutter, eh?  From the heights to
> the depths ...

First, I find it interesting that you are applying your personal
morals to a technical discussion.  Actually, I find it sad too.

Second, who said v6 was "the heights"?  Many people would argue this
actually _lifts_ v6, not drags it down.  (And most of those people
would further argue v6 should have stayed down.)

Third, where do you work?  I work on the Internet.  If you are
opposed to pr0n, and you work on the Internet, you need to change
jobs, FAST.  Unless you enjoy self delusion.  And don't even think
about saying "not on MY network".  I don't care if you work for
a .gov, there is plenty of nekkid-flesh-bits flying on your network.
To think otherwise only proves you are delusional or ignorant.

The only good thing I can say about this proposal is that 10GB is not
NEARLY enough to get your typical luser to think about changing their
configuration.  Therefore, it probably won't have an impact on v6
adoption.  (That ghod.)

--
TTFN,
patrick