Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Apr 9 20:58:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> > If they're properly SWIPed why punish the ISP for networks
> > they don't even
> > operate, that obviously belong to their business customers?
>
> How can you tell that they don't operate a network from SWIP records?
>
> Seems to me that lots of network operators sell "managed services" to
> businesses which means that the network operator is the one operating
> the business customers' networks.

"OPERATING PARTS" of the business customers' networks ...

'managed services' means lots of things, anything from: "I'll manage your
firewall" to "I'll manage that CPE router" to "I'll have feet on the
street picking up crumbs in the hallways of your office buildings
24/7/365"...

Assuming ... welp, that's dangerous :)

So, what this is all getting back to (the whole 'abuse procedures' and
'dropping traffic because you dislike someone/some-ip/somecountry) is that
essentially each site has the twin responsibilities to:
1) clean up their part of the network
2) decide who they want to accept traffic from

The #1 above is only going to save you a minor amount of money (if any)
and is going to assure that in the longer term your traffic might have a
lower chance of being dropped by someone more draconian than you (say
PaulV for instance). The #2 above is purely your own decision process, it
may be driven by some business decisions/drivers (less money on email
servers, less money on links, less firewall costs, customers that really
do interact with <insert-bad-country-here>).

You have to, as a network operator, decide how you want to deal with all
of this. Taking any one person's opinion and using only that is surely
going to lead to some bad decisions for your network.