Abuse procedures... Reality Checks

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Apr 9 20:39:28 UTC 2007

> If they're properly SWIPed why punish the ISP for networks
> they don't even
> operate, that obviously belong to their business customers?

How can you tell that they don't operate a network from SWIP records?

Seems to me that lots of network operators sell "managed services" to
businesses which means that the network operator is the one operating
the business customers' networks.

Let's face it, the whole SWIP system and whois directory concept was
poorly implemented way back in the 1980s and it is completely inadequate
on an Internet that is thousands of times larger than it was when SWIP
and whois were first developed. How many of you were aware that whois
was originally intended to record all users of the ARPAnet from each
site so that networking departments could justify the funds they were
spending on high-speed 56k frame relay links?

--Michael Dillon