Blocking mail from bad places

Thomas Leavitt thomas at thomasleavitt.org
Thu Apr 5 15:38:37 UTC 2007

One problem with the "bounce" solution is that for those of us with
multiple domains (some of them wildcarded) mapped to our mailboxes, the
volume of "backscatter" makes it a real hassle to sort out the valid
bounces from the "noise". Even users with a single email address can be
victimized often enough to dismiss this stuff as a form of "spam", and
automatically delete it without looking; \every few months, I get pained
complaints from one friend or family member or another about someone
using their address to spam, and thousands of bounce messages winding up
in their mailbox as a result... another major problem, in my opinion,
caused by spam that is leading to email becoming more and more of an
unreliable medium - even when everything works perfectly according to
protocol and RFC, and a person gets a bounce message because an address
is out of date or typoed or otherwise invalid, they'll never know.

Thomas