summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 4 19:05:41 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:55:38PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> > What purpose does an identity check serve?  How do you verify the
> > identity?  If a domain name is already registered, what value is there
> > to the "identity" check?  What identity are you verifying?  The
> > individual requesting the update?  The company?  What happens when you
> > find yourself unable to navigate the County Clerk's office at 5:01PM
> > to look up that fictitious name filing?
> >
> > If you want to establish identities, the time to do that is at
> > registration time - not crunch time.
>
> Hello, my name is Joe Greco, I made a bad mistake registering the IP
> addresses of dns1.sol.net, dns2.sol.net, dns4.sol.net, and dnsz.sol.net,
> and I need you to change them to 216.218.130.2, 216.218.131.2,
> 216.218.132.2, and 216.218.132.2, respectively.  I have deposited $100
> to you via PayPal to cover the sudden-change fee.
>
> Now YOU tell ME what purpose an identity check serves.  ;-)

Yes, that's nice, except that Joe Greco isn't authorized to do that.
We're not talking about a system operating in a vacuum here.  There
are already established mechanisms for guarding domains.  We're talking
about rapid update authorization.

So go ahead and tell me exactly what you've done, beyond enriching a
registrar $100.  (Incidentally, since we're the reseller, you probably
just sent us the $100, so by all means, send us beer money.)

... JG