summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

Donald Stahl don at calis.blacksun.org
Wed Apr 4 15:09:20 UTC 2007

> offers 5 minutes from curb to seat checkin service. The need exists but
> it ain't gonna be filled anytime soon because the government prohibits
> such things. The government mandates delays and multiple vetting
> processes between the time you step on the curb and the time you sit in
> your airplane seat.
And government interference has been such a boon for the airlines and air
travelers? Or just about any industry for that matter? Come on. Do you
really want a group of people who think the Internet is a bunch of tubes
telling you how things should be run?? God help us all if that happens.

> Same with buying a handgun in most states and in Canada. Same with
> opening a business in most jurisdictions. You have to go to cityhall and
> apply for a license first. Why should domain name registries be special
> and be exempt from these normal processes of vetting and registering?
Did you seriously, honestly, just compare a domain name to a handgun??????

I have NO idea what to say to this ...

This was originally a much longer email but your statement made me realize
the futility of my arguments...

-Don