summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 4 15:06:18 UTC 2007

> > > There is no need for rapidly unannounced updates by the
> > registries.
> >
> > That simply isn't true.
>
> You're right. Just like there is a very strong need for an airline that
> offers 5 minutes from curb to seat checkin service. The need exists but
> it ain't gonna be filled anytime soon because the government prohibits
> such things. The government mandates delays and multiple vetting
> processes between the time you step on the curb and the time you sit in
> your airplane seat.

Well, if you're going to say that, then at least be honest and concede
that the government has also recognized the need, and has been working
towards filling it with the TSA's "Registered Traveler" program, which
was designed to pretty much allow a traveler to go to an airline kiosk,
pick up a ticket, and make it through security fairly rapidly.  Five
minutes is overly optimistic, but more due to the size of your average
airport than due to the amount of time expected to be consumed by the
process.

> Same with buying a handgun in most states and in Canada. Same with
> opening a business in most jurisdictions. You have to go to cityhall and
> apply for a license first. Why should domain name registries be special
> and be exempt from these normal processes of vetting and registering?

Well, again, then, let's play fair with the analogies.  It may actually
take a business day to open an LLC here, but once that's done, I can
submit changes to the registered office as frequently as I want.  It may
take a little time for the state to process them, but that's not due to
any special "vetting" process that I'm aware of, it's a legacy of the
fact that the systems aren't all-electronic yet.

If you actually look at why businesses have to register, it has more to
do with collecting various taxes and/or maintaining records than it does
with "vetting."  A sole propietorship here in WI has minimal obligations
and in many cases need not file much of anything in order to do business.
LLC records with the state need not list the members.  The state wants
to collect their sales tax, for that you need a sales and use tax permit.
If you want to rent space, that's another set of fee-related issues.
Etc.  So I find that argument weak at best.

Of course, I have yet to see a criminal shoot anyone with a domain name,
or a hijacker take over a plane with one.  These are very serious real
world events involving injury and/or death, and as such, some additional
care may be warranted, which is doubtless why registration is required to
buy a handgun, why there are metal detectors and anti-terrorist programs
at airports, etc.  To be needing to reach to such levels to justify your
argument is not particularly compelling, especially when it is easy
enough to poke holes in it anyways.

If you seriously want to propose something:

If you're going to do any vetting, the time to do it is at registration,
not at crunch time.

Limiting rapid updates makes sense.  Eliminating them does not.

Fixing the brokenness which allows for domain tasting makes perfect sense.

Designing a system which doesn't allow for some level of anonymity (let's
say for whistleblower/bloggers) requires some serious debate that goes
far beyond "what are the security implications."

Etc.

... JG