summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

Tue Apr 3 22:29:27 UTC 2007

Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 10:56:00PM -0500, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> I just posted this, and I believe it makes sense:
>>
>> Title: Put Security Alongside .XXX
>>
>> Isn't security as important to discuss as .XSS?
>>
>> The DNS has become an abuse infrastructure, it is no longer just a
>> functional infrastructure. It is not being used by malware, phishing and
>> other Bad Things [TM], it facilitates them.
>>

> Again - DNS is the infrastructure for EVERYTHING.  It facilitates
> EVERYTHING.  If you threw it out and put something else in that was not
> as clunky as editing hosts.txt files 'scp'ed from DARPA daily, then THAT
> would be what was facilitating everything.

Maybe it would make sense for someone to reiterate what types of abuse
DNS is facilitating? I believe what Gadi was getting at was mainly the
ability to use fake details to register a domain, and then very rapidly
cycling the A records through a wide range of hosts, attempting to avoid
detection. As opposed to there actually being fundamental flaws open to
abuse in a system that maps names to IP addresses.

Sam