summarising [was: Re: ICANNs role]

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Apr 3 19:19:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 10:56:00PM -0500, Gadi Evron wrote:
> I just posted this, and I believe it makes sense:
>
> Title: Put Security Alongside .XXX
>
> Isn't security as important to discuss as .XSS?
>
> The DNS has become an abuse infrastructure, it is no longer just a
> functional infrastructure. It is not being used by malware, phishing and
> other Bad Things [TM], it facilitates them.

Again - DNS is the infrastructure for EVERYTHING.  It facilitates
EVERYTHING.  If you threw it out and put something else in that was not
as clunky as editing hosts.txt files 'scp'ed from DARPA daily, then THAT
would be what was facilitating everything.

> Operational needs require the policy and governance folks to start taking
> notice.
>
> It's high time security got where it needs to be on the agenda, not just
> because it is important to consider security, but rather because lack of
> security controls made it a necessity.

Completely separately from your personal views on DNS, the above are
quite true.

--
Joe Yao
Analex Contractor