New domain name registry rules (was: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 12:15:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 12:43 +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> Well, I think the question is, why to new domain additions have to be
> lumped in with all other zone changes and updated within minutes? Why
> can't new domain additions be treated specially and be held back for a
> day or two in order to prevent tasters from abusing the network.

Because legit mom & pop shops want to sign-up and build a website in the
same way they throw a brochure together down at Kinkos.  Welcome to the
"here and now" generation. ;-)

I'm not saying that I agree with immediate domain registration, but I
understand why it is what it is today.

Want to fix it: have ICANN regulate and fine registrars who don't screen
their clientele.  There are enough spam/virus/bot reports out there to
see who is responsible for what.

-Jim P.