ICANNs role [was: Re: On-going ...]

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Tue Apr 3 09:37:15 UTC 2007

Gadi Evron wrote:
> What are your thoughts on basic suggestions such as:
> 1. Allowing registrars to terminate domains based on abuse, rather than
> just fake contact details.

Are you crazy or what?  Ever heard of due process?  What is abuse?  Who
decides that?  Office of pre-crime?

In the end the cure is worse than the diseas (by abusing the anti-abuse
system.  DMCA abuse anyone?  Or the stupid bogons list so many people
forget to update every friggin time IANA allocated a new /8 to one of
the RIRs?)

> 3. For true emergencies threatening the survivability of the system,
> shoudln't we be able to black-list a domain in the core?

Never ever should anything like that be done at the core.  Especially
when you try to fix a problem that isn't even at the core but in one
vendors operating system without a proper fix after having known it
for more than five month.

Gadi, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Try to hit Microsoft instead.

--
Andre