On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Mon Apr 2 23:56:28 UTC 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:
>
>> Until Internet commerce requires some physical proof of identity,
>> fraud will continue.
>
> As has already been stated, this is hardly a guarantee.
>
> It seems to me that we're in danger of straying into déformation
> professionnelle.

Agreed and my apologies for not being clear.  Registrars are unable
to curtail current levels of fraud without significant changes in how
domains are acquired.  Consider registrar related fraud as a separate
and perhaps even fruitless topic.

The recommendation was for registries to provide a preview of the
next day's zone.  A preview can reduce the amount of protective data
required, and increase the timeframe alloted to push correlated
threat information to the edge.  This correlated threat information
can act in a preemptive fashion to provide a significant improvement
in security.  This added level of protection can help defeat expected
and even unexpected threats that are becoming far too common as well.

-Doug