America takes over DNS

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Apr 2 12:26:55 UTC 2007

> > [unicity of names] does not exist in DNS unless you take an
> > extremely narrow technical view.
>
> I thought that NANOG was for extremely narrow technical
> discussions. For bold "We will replace the DNS and IP while we're at
> it" discussions, there are other forums :-)

Yes, I was suprised when you replied to that message.

In any case, NANOG definitely *IS* the right place to discuss replacing
IP, although I don't expect much discussion until there is more IPv6
implementation in the USA. And I never proposed replacing DNS and IP at
the same time. One transition at a time is enough to deal with.

As for "other forums", your claim would be more credible if you would
identify these other forums. As far as I know there is not currently any
forum that is seriously studying a replacement for the current DNS
architecture. If I'm wrong, please provide details.

-- Michael Dillon