redefining which infrastructure is the proble [was: Re: On-going ..]

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Mon Apr 2 02:51:16 UTC 2007

On 1 Apr 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > We're looking at the alligators surrounding us. Gadi is trying to
> > convince us to help him in draining the swamp (which may indeed be a
> > positive thing in the long run).
> >
> > Does that sound about right?
>
> that sounds exactly wrong.  harkening back to my experience with "check-names"
> i can tell you that all i did was scare away a few alligators and the swamp
> remained.  (probably the same was true of the original MAPS RBL.)  what we've
> got in the DNS registry/registrar market today is as corrupt and abusable as
> the California electricity market was back in 2000-2001, and we're seeing the
> same kind of windfalls enjoyed by the same kind of assholes now as then.  the
> system is ripe for policing, which icann has shown that they will not do.  i
> want to see gadi in "ralph nader" mode, shining a light on all this, making it
> harder to profit from building the "infrastructure of evil."  if that's what
> you meant by swamp-draining, then i apologize for misunderstanding you.

So, is the infrastructure in question which is an abuse infrastructure,
the ICANN policy and registry/registrars combination on TLD management and
domain registration/revokation?

I can testify as to some registrars (enom, godaddy, tucows, etc.) being
very responsive and some registries (read .info) being very
cooperative.

OBVIOUSLY this is not the case for everyone.

I can testify as to ICANN folks being clued-in and helpful as far as they
can under current policies which make ICANN itself being very much
non-existent when it comes to security and abuse.

	Gadi.