On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sun Apr 1 22:57:24 UTC 2007

ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron) writes:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > Stop trying to fix things in the core - it won't work, honest - and start
> > trying to fix things closer to the edge where the actual problem is.
>
> Thing is, the problem IS in the core.

nope.  read what he wrote-- "it won't work, honest".  the problem is on the
front-end, an "edge", specifically in the way domain tasting works.  does
anyone really believe that there will ever again be a million domains added
to the DNS in a 24-hour period?  (of course not.)  then why do verisign and
the other TLD registries have to cope with many millions of updates per day?
if we solve THAT problem, which is difficult and barely tractible, then the
"dns core" will go on as before, working just fine all the while.

> DNS is no longer just being abused, it is pretty much an abuse
> infrastructure.

do you mean DNS or do you mean every Internet technology including IP, UDP,
TCP, ICMP, BGP, etc; plus most non-Internet-specific technologies including
ASCII, Unicode, 32-bit, 64-bit, and binary?

"the internet, and technology in general, is no longer just being abused,
it is pretty much an abuse infrastructure."  <--- i'd agree with *that*.
(but this is not the first time I've been irritated that I can't choose which
other humans to share the galaxy with and which ones I'd like to kick out.)
--
Paul Vixie