On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Sun Apr 1 22:36:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 12:29 -0700, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Douglas Otis wrote:
>
> > Instituting notification of domain name additions before publishing
> > would enable several preemptive defenses not otherwise possible.
>
> How does this help?

Information collected by the registrar must be assumed to be
untrustworthy, save the functional elements to be published.

> Several registrars offer private domain registration as an option, as
> well.  How does this affect the notification model?

By ensuring data published by registry's can be previewed, all
registrars would be affected equally.

> I generally agree with you that when possible, time for analysis can
> be useful (though I'm unsure how that helps in this scenario, see
> above).

When functional information is not valid, such as incorrect name servers
or IP addresses, this would not impose an immediate threat.  However,
basic functional information will trace to the controlling entity.  Only
by being able to preview this information, would comprehensive
preemptive efforts be able to prove fully effective.

> But one of the ways registrars compete is on timeliness;

All registrars would be subject to the same delay.  The previewing
process would be a function of the registry.

-Doug