On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Sun Apr 1 13:31:17 UTC 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:

> at the other end, authority servers which means registries and registrars
> ought, as you've oft said, be more responsible about ripping down domains
> used by bad people.  whether phish, malware, whatever.  what we need is some
> kind of public shaming mechanism, a registrar wall of sheep if you will, to
> put some business pressure on the companies who enable this kind of evil.

I've posted here a few times about this, but... in almost all cases of
domain names used in a bad way (in malware or to further malware's
intents) the domain is purchased on a stolen CC. The registrar knows this
most often with in days of the purchase, they don't seem to turn off the
domain though. Why is that? Why do they not terminate the domain or
atleast terminate control of it by the 'bad actors'?

It seems that if the registrars would terminate control in a timely
fashion that would do what 'we' want, yes? remove the ease of use of this
tool for the bad actors...

> fundamentally, this isn't a dns technical problem, and using dns technology
> to solve it will either not work or set a dangerous precedent.  and since

if the local side of the problem (an enterprise let's say) wants to use
the dns-tool in their toolbox, 'ok'. I'm not sure that at the provider
level it's as simple as that since there is an aggregation of security
policies there and often the policies conflict (you can look at xxx vs you
can't look at xxx).