icmp rpf

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Tue Sep 26 15:57:21 UTC 2006

I asked:
> Who among AS1239, AS701, AS3356, AS7018, AS209 does loose RPF
> (not just strict RPF on single-homed customers)?

and Patrick answered:
>> I'm wondering why that is relevant.

It's relevant because it was suggested that loose RPF should be a
"best common practice" so I was curious which of those ASes decided
that the benefits outweighed the negatives and actually do it.
Don't worry, those were randomly chosen AS.  I didn't intend to
make any suggestion that the answer would be more important to me
for that set of ASes than any other.

But, you were correct that I wasn't asking the question
I really wanted answered.   What I wanted to know was, among the
attentive nanog membership, which of you think and/or know that
any/all of those AS do loose RPF?

The motivation here is that, if asked last week, I would have guessed
that none of them run loose RPF.  But at least one of them does.
The two answers, how many actually do plus whether everyone knew it,
will help me decide if I need to spend more time reading nanog email
and nanog proceedings (or actually go to a meeting), or not...

Thanks,
-mark