New router feature - icmp error source-interface [was: icmp rpf]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Sep 25 21:31:27 UTC 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Berkman, Scott wrote:

> Might this not be a bad idea if the router has interfaces on multiple,
> separate paths?  Such a case may be where one customer or set of
> traffic
> routes over a link to ISP A, and other traffic over a link to ISP
> B, and
> not all related addresses are portable.  In that case the loopback
> address for the ICMP errors might show from an address that seems to
> belong to a block from ISP A, but is really traffic that was
> transported
> on ISP B.
>
> 	Just trying to come up with possible issues, not saying that's a
> best practice or anything...

I doubt it is possible to make a rule / knob / idea / feature /
whatever that cannot be misused, or that is applicable to all corner
cases.

That's why it's a knob. :)  If it is applicable to your situation,
you should use it.  If not, not.

But if the knob has enough use in enough situations, then it is
probably something we want to push the vendors to implement.

--
TTFN,
patrick