ARIN sucks?

J Bacher jb at jbacher.com
Sun Sep 17 23:46:21 UTC 2006

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> It is indeed simple if you know what needs to be done and what is
> expected.  Even in your case above you mislead people into thinking that
> one can "request the AS and a Subnet from ARIN".  After setting up the
> various POCs (step #1), step #2 is getting an ORG.  Step #3 is
> requesting the IP space and *not* the ASN.  One can't get an ASN from
> ARIN *until* you have IP space.

Hank,

The real answer is "it depends".

 From my correspondence with ARIN on behalf of one of my customers just a few
months ago:

"Will you be requesting an AS number from ARIN?  Under the intent to
multi-home policy, we've been asking customers to first submit a request
for an AS number."

For this particular (new) customer, the entire process was 3 weeks with majority
of the delay getting payment remitted to get the allocation and then the ASN.

My experience with ARIN has always been positive (thank you).

believed to be clean.