ARIN sucks?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 17 19:28:28 UTC 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>
>>> Also, you're incorrect on the process.  You can definitely get an
>>> ASN
>>> without IP space.
>>
>> I find that fascinating.  The ARIN template:
>> http://www.arin.net/registration/templates/asn-request.txt
>> states:
>> 12. Indicate all IP address blocks currently in use in
>>    your network.
>> You fill in "none" and ARIN has given you an ASN?  Under what
>> conditions?
>
> If you have no IP space in use, what do you plan to do with an
> ASN?  It is pretty common to get an ASN from ARIN while using PA IP
> space, never getting (or requesting) space from ARIN or other RIRs.

Actually, in more than one case, I have been able to fill in "none"
on an initial
assignment template and still get the ASN.  The ASN is a prerequisite
to qualifying
under the multihoming end-user policy, so, yes, if you are starting
from zero and
applying as an initial end-user, you can apply for an ASN with "none"
as long as
you can demonstrate that you have contracts for service with at least
two ISPs.

You can then use that ASN to apply for IP space under the multi-homed
end-user
policy.

Of course, if you can show existing utilization of PA space, that
becomes much
easier, because it is easier for ARIN to verify your utilization and
requirements,
but, with sufficient appropriate documentation, you can apply without
existing
IP space and get an ASN and an assignment.

Owen