Q on what IGP routing protocol to use for supplying only gateway address

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Sep 14 17:55:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:35 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>
>> Any suggestion as to what IGP protocol is best for this scenario?
>
> This is more of a cisco-nsp question, but probably OSPF, as it's supported
> by the routing daemons on most *NIXes out of the box.  I don't know about
> Windows.

If this was 5+ years ago, I'd have said RIP as it works great for
supplying only gateway address, but I want RIP to go RIP and will
not use it again. So yes OSPF seems like best choice, but I was
hoping something simple for gateway-only is available. I've no idea
yet how to deal with Windows (all win2000 and win2003), anybody?

> Are you doing anycasting or something?

Yes, anycasting will be involved but only for very small number of
servers (all linux) - that is kind-of separate issue. The equipment
itself however will only see local gateway addresses (obviously), so
it should not care or know about it.

> If simple redundancy in the default gateway is the goal, another (and
> probably simpler) method is to implement HSRP or GLBP between your routers
> which are serving the hosts in question.

Can't use HSRP in this case (or IVRP or whatever else its called with
non-cisco options) - too long to explain why.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net