ip reclamation was Re: Kremen's Buddy?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Sep 13 20:11:09 UTC 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william at elan.net>

> >> The fact that there is a lot of space
> assigned/allocated >> and not used   in any easily
> observable way is well known >> to those who track the
> address exhaustion issue, I >> think.

> > How much, though, is used, but not routed publically?

>   Simple math from above:
>   Allocated & Not Routed: 3118838 (/24 blocks) - 21%

I believe I wasn't clear.  I meant to say, what fraction of
this is in actual use, but not publically routed as opposed
to the percent allocated and not in use, say, by defunct
companies.

> > Something that has been brought up from time to time
> > here. It's not easily observable, but allowed.
>
> Not easily observable means some ip blocks maybe used but
> are not  adverised in public BGP. This is a bit of an
> issue with certain part of US Gov.

This is what I was getting at, but you've given an upper
bound (21%) and I'm positive it's not even close to that.
Still, it reduces the 21% to a amaller number.

scott