[Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Sep 13 15:53:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:43:36AM -0400,
 D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote
 a message of 20 lines which said:

> No one knows me by my IP address.  They know me by my email
> address(es).

It does not seem true. IP addresses are visible outside in:

* DNS servers when you get a zone delegation (the most important
  reason why changing IP addresses is a pain),
* some peer-to-peer networks like Freenet, which do not use the DNS.

(There are also a lof of internal uses of IP addresses for instance in
firewalls and SSH caches.)

So, you actually have:

1) Phone numbers (very visible outside)
2) IP addresses (visible outside)
3) MAC addresses (completely invisible outside except for a few
   minutes in the ARP caches)