[Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Sep 13 13:53:27 UTC 2006

David Conrad wrote:
> I'm sure the same argument was used for telephone numbers when technical
> folk were arguing against number portability.

Number portability is a different can of worms, and many telephone companies
pushed for it. However, telephone numbers have been assigned in large blocks,
when only 1 number might be needed. This was a big issue for CLEC dailups, where
999 numbers could go to waste. If ARIN handed out prefixes the same way, there
wouldn't be any IPv4 space left.

"Dude! Check it! I got a /20 for my house, man! It was a steal. Remember in the
day when ARIN wouldn't let me have it because I only have 2 hosts here?" *insane
laughter* .... or .... "IPs for sale! We've acquired 20 /8 networks! How big do
you want to go?" (given that laws have indicated a dislike for domain squatting,
I wonder how IP squatting would work?)

-Jack