Kremen's Buddy?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Wed Sep 13 01:52:27 UTC 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

>> In any kind of free market system, competition would have
>> bitchslapped the
>> current ARIN way of doing things a long, long time ago.
>
> I'm not an economist, and this is not a policy list, so I have
> nothing to say about that here.

Wrong, on all three counts ;-)

You make a living, at least sometimes, making networks do more or
better for the same or less. That makes you a practicing/applied
economist at least (sorry).

Competition in this case could only lead to a race to the bottom, as
the RIR processes that (attempt to) guarantee a tight fit between
address allocation and actual production requirements give way to
highest-bidder / lowest-requirements wins. Such a shift might serve
the interests of those whose pockets are deeper than their interest
in the long-term viability of the Internet, but only at the expense
of the rest of the operator community, and their customers, present
and future.

TV