Database for customer assignments [WAS Re: Data Center Wiring Standards]

Andy Johnson andyjohnson at ij.net
Tue Sep 12 19:06:41 UTC 2006

    In my experience, most folks roll their own IP management software. Most
coming from spreadsheets such as yourself, end up with some sort of custom
written provisioning software that integrates into their existing
applications. I've seen very few commercial products in use, though I can't
say whether or not they were any better or worse than the home grown
solutions.

    IIRC, there were two major open source projects, FreeIPDB, and
Northstar. Both had some promise for a decent open source IP management
suite. As far as Switch Ports/Patch panels, I've not seen anyone keep real
good track of usage other than switch port descriptions.

---
Andy