[Fwd: RE: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Tue Sep 12 00:41:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Chris Jester wrote:

> Also, what about ARINS hardcore attitude making it near impossible
> to aquire ip space, even when you justify it's use?  I have had
> nightmares myself as well as MANY of my collegues share similar experiences.
> I am having an issue right now with a UNIVERSITY in Mexico tryin to get
> ip's from the mexican counterpart.  Why is it that they involve lawyers,
> ask you all your customers names and etc... This is more information than
> I think they should be requiring. Any company that wishes to engage in
> business as an ISP or provider in some capacity should be granted the
> right to their own ip space. We cannot trust using ips swipped to us by
> upstreams and the like. Its just not safe to do that and you lose control.
>
> Actually, is there anyone else who shares these nightmares with me?
> I brought up the lawsuit with Kremen and ARIN to see if this is a common
> issue.  What are your views, and can someone share nightmare stories?

When I went after my own /21 after headaches with the numbers from my
upstreams, UUNET and SBC, I sought help from a consultant (inexpensive,
I might add) to let me know *exactly* what I needed to provide to ARIN
to justify a private allocation.  Unlike the original poster's claim, I
didn't have to "open the kimono" wide.  ARIN looked at my existing
utilization, my basic numbering plan, my then-existing map of domain
names to IP addresses, my application for one ASN, and after one
back-and-forth they said "yes."

Today I'm a very happy multi-homed camper.