[Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

Daniel Golding dgolding at tier1research.com
Mon Sep 11 18:45:58 UTC 2006

Joe makes a good point. Everyone is shouting "no one owns IP addresses", but
that is proof by assertion. Yelling louder doesn't make it so. Neither does
ARIN's assertions or their policies. What would establish IP addresses as
some sort of ARIN-owned and licensed community property? Well, winning a
court case like this, or congress passing a law. Frankly, those who want
ARIN's ownership of IP addresses to be established, should hope Kremens put
on a good case here, to establish a nice solid precedent.

Who cares about when CIDR came out? It was background information and not
really material to the case.

Kremens was the victim of a very nasty fraud. People are acting like he's a
bad guy, when, in fact, he was a victim of one of the worst cases of domain
hijacking, and his original case is one that we rely on for protection
today.

There is a strong argument to be made for ownership of IP addressing and
subsequently trading address space as a commodity, with ARIN as a commodity
exchange and clearinghouse.

Is this reaction people hating lawyers more than ARIN, or what?

- Daniel Golding

  _____