[OT] Connexion {Was: Re: [routing-wg]BGP Update Report}

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Sep 10 17:04:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:24:52PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:08:56 -0500, Netfortius <netfortius at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just wondering this, myself. I travel fairly frequently between US and Europe,
> > and Lufthansa was recently my choice, exclusively because of this service.
> > Perhaps with the interdiction of computing devices on board (have not
> > travelled since the UK incident, so I am not sure if the new rules of flying
> > naked affect all flights?!?) there won't - obviously - be much of a need for
> > an Internet connection ...
> >
> The main issue, from what I read, is that too few airlines followed suit.
> In particular, most American airlines were far too strapped financially to
> invest in the necessary equipment.

Duh. Did you ever read the numbers for Connexion? They managed to design a
system which cost the airlines up to $1mil per plane to install, and only
generated $80k/yr/plane total revenue (thats Boeing revenue not airline
revenue). They had an opex of something like $150mil/yr on total revenue
of $11mil/yr.

Obviously there is no such thing as an FAA certified $50 Linksys WRT54G,
but it never fails to amaze me how people are utterly shocked when reality
catches up with their wild, unchecked, and stupid spending. :)